FRESH Street (Sheffield): testing the feasibility of 2 place based, household level, approaches to increasing fruit and vegetable consumption
PHE ePoster Library. Relton C. Sep 12, 2019; 274375; 179
Dr. C Relton
Dr. C Relton
Login now to access Regular content available to all registered users.

You may also access this content "anytime, anywhere" with the Free MULTILEARNING App for iOS and Android
Abstract
Rate & Comment (0)
Abstract BackgroundMany UK communities live in urban food deserts, experience food insecurity, and consume diets low in fresh fruit and vegetables and high in nutrient poor food. We are currently feasibility testing two area based approaches to tackle these challenges. MethodsIntervention 1 (Vouchers or Bag): weekly vouchers for fresh fruit and vegetables (value £5) redeemable with local fruit and veg stalls or a home-delivered bag of locally grown vegetables (supplemented with UK grown food as required).Intervention 2 (Bag): weekly home-delivered bag of locally grown vegetables supplemented with UK grown food (value £5).Both interventions are being feasibility tested in three blocks of 52 flats in an area of high deprivation in Sheffield for 12 months. All households are eligible regardless of income. Feasibility is being assessed through door-step conversations and voucher redemption data Preliminary resultsIntervention 1 began on 25.10.19. As of 15.04.19, 61% (n=40/54) of eligible households were participating in FRESH Street, and 62% of the vouchers have been redeemed. Most (89%) are used at town centre market stalls 3 miles away, the rest are exchanged for home-delivered bags (11%). Householders report better value and variety at the markets compared to supermarkets. Many report that the weekly vouchers help them think about and create healthier eating habits. Full results will be soon availableConclusionFurther research is required to assess the long term & wide impacts of these approaches to creating environmentally sustainable local food systems and healthy diets. External funding details Research:Medical Research Council MR/R002630/1 Vouchers - Sheffield City Counci
    This eLearning portal is powered by:
    This eLearning portal is powered by MULTIEPORTAL
Anonymous User Privacy Preferences

Strictly Necessary Cookies (Always Active)

MULTILEARNING platforms and tools hereinafter referred as “MLG SOFTWARE” are provided to you as pure educational platforms/services requiring cookies to operate. In the case of the MLG SOFTWARE, cookies are essential for the Platform to function properly for the provision of education. If these cookies are disabled, a large subset of the functionality provided by the Platform will either be unavailable or cease to work as expected. The MLG SOFTWARE do not capture non-essential activities such as menu items and listings you click on or pages viewed.


Performance Cookies

Performance cookies are used to analyse how visitors use a website in order to provide a better user experience.


Save Settings